OK, a huge thanks to the people who have already tried out the Genesis Responsive Header plugin. I got a lot of good feedback in the first week and have a new version ready for download. Please note, this is still a beta. It’s only been in the public for a week now. I believe this version is very stable though. With feedback you all can help me to make sure it works perfectly on any Genesis site.
What I Fixed
There was one major bug. The media uploader didn’t work right on posts/pages when the plugin was active. Short version is that the scripts were getting loaded when they weren’t needed. I’m not sure why this didn’t show up in my initial testing. It seemed to show up on several sites all at once a few days after it was initially released. I’m going to file that under weird.In any case, this is fixed now.
I also fixed an issue with how this worked related to some CSS where there was a logo set as the background for #title or #title a. This fixes the Education 2.0 compatibility to be specific, but will also address other themes using similar CSS.
I found that when uploading a logo for the first time it could overflow the metabox and looked unprofessional, so I fixed that.
I also found that when you changed the logo it didn’t reflect the new logo in the preview. That caused me a lot of heartache when I was fixing the first issue. I mean a LOT of heartache. I thought it wasn’t loading my scripts right after I limited it to just the scripts page because I thought it wasn’t actually changing the logo. Sometimes the simple things get overlooked.
I found a few sites didn’t get along well with the getimagesize() function because of the way the image was called via the URL. This resulted in some errors and ultimately I decided to skip that function and use the image size that is set when inserting the image via the WordPress uploader. This worked great and it means the code will be more efficient and less prone to error.
How to update
Since this is in beta I’m not quite ready to get it into the WordPress repo. This means you will not get a notification that the plugin can be updated in the WordPress dashboard. You will need to download the update here then disable and delete the plugin from your WordPress plugins page. Then you will be able to upload and activate the plugin from the new download. It should show that you have version 0.2.1 after updating.
Once again, thank you for helping test this during the early stages of the plugin development. I do expect this to be very stable but let me know if something isn’t working. With the previous release I did some behind the scenes work with a couple of users who were having trouble so we got some hidden updates in the outset. I’m happy to do the same if anything comes up. Please post any issues you have in the comments here or use my contact form or Twitter to let me know. Also, please share links to your site with the logo looking great on any device.